Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Gathering of Spirits: Gerry Miller 1923-2008



In a ceremony to honor Gerry Miller's spirit, many people gathered in Whitfield park around the lovely gazebo at 5 on Monday evening, June 9, 2008. John, Darryl, and I greeted residents of the Rose of Sharon, workers from Walden Books, where Gerry had worked over 20 years ago, numerous friends, and several relatives. Aunt Sarah, and Jack and Kathy Miller attended along with their close friends.

The brutal, humid heat gave way as frail, tall, elder Father Bill accepted an invitation from me to say a non-denominational prayer. He spoke with passion that heaven requires that we , however diverse, love and help one another.

Darryl's eloquence and experienced insight allowed him to present to the assembly the nobility, the worth and necessity of giving one's body to science and medicine, that the sacred cut of the doctor into real human flesh cannot be duplicated.

Darryl's praise for anatomy and medical research was followed by several personal stories such as Gerry teaching a young woman calligraphy. Others recounted kindness under the veneer of harsh language.

Workers from Walden Books recounted tales of her with customers, shocking them at times. Putting bibles beside the Joys of Sex, and having annoying organ music stopped.

As the accounts concluded, as I talked to Kathy of my Hawaiian shirt, a bird crapped, not sat, on my shoulder. The Italians say that is a blessing. Yea, just the sort my mother would bestow on me, keeping me from being pretentious. I'm O K with that.

In the future we hope to follow Gerry's wish that we scatter her ashes in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The photograph of this blog was taken there. May her spirit rest in peace.

Jack Miller





No comments: